Taking the Chair - Leading the Governing Board and its Committees Pts 1 & 2 (Tuesdays 26th November 2019 AND 3rd December 2019)
In addition to any issues raised in advance, we will consider:
• Setting the tone – how to effectively agree and articulate the culture, values and ethos of the school, embed these into the work of the Board and the school, and monitor the impact on pupils and on the school’s reputation.
• Ensuring that the work of the Board is focused on delivering the three core functions of the Board - setting a clear vision for the future and an agreed strategic direction and holding school leaders to account for educational standards and financial performance.
• Organising the work of the Board so that it is focused on the core functions and makes best use of skills and time
• How to establish a relationship that is both challenging and supportive with the headteacher/school leaders.
• How and when to approach difficult conversations with individual board members, the whole board and the headteacher/school leaders.
• How to use the Competency Framework to develop the team as well as individual Board members and review the impact and effectiveness of the Board and Board members.
• Succession planning – securing the future of the Board
• The important features of the new Ofsted arrangements including inspection of outstanding schools
Statutory Compliance in School Buildings
This training course highlights the key areas where compliance monitoring is required and provides background information. This course will establish the status of each area (e.g. statutory, recommended good practice), suggest good practice, frequency and guidance to further information to support schools.